Myra was born on Friday, February 13th, 2015 (my lucky day!) at 6:25pm, weighing in at 8lbs 2oz and measuring 20.5in. She was born 6 days before her due date. My doctor suggested I be induced about a week early since Alex was big, there were a few complications with his birth, and he was a NICU baby. The idea was to avoid any complications by having her early, so that's what we did.
We went to the hospital around 7:30ish and they hooked me up to my IV and all that good stuff. I had to get some antibiotics because I was Group B positive, so we didn't start the pitocin till...sometime after that. It was funny because the nurses/hospital policy said that I had to have the full two doses of antibiotics before I could be induced, but my doctor wanted to start the pitocin right away so I didn't have to be there/in labor longer, and said that I just needed the antibiotics for 4 hours before delivering the baby. So he went and picked a fight with the head nurse. Came back a little later...and sure enough we started the pitocin so he won the fight ;)
While at the hospital, we watched HGTV! haha we love that show and don't have cable, so we decided to take advantage of the opportunity. It helped keep my mind off of my contractions until they started to get a little more intense. I had some serious back labor going on, partially because Myra was facing the wrong way and (resting on my pelvis?). I was planning on getting an epidural but I was torn. I didn't want to get it too soon, because I didn't want to slow down the labor process. However, my contractions were starting to get really painful. I had two nurses, Chelsea and Chandra (Chelsea had been a nurse for 3+ years and was now training in L&D), and they were awesome. I sat up and leaned against the back of my bed and they massaged my back to try to help the pain. And they were SO supportive of if I got an epidural or not. They were like, "We've both done it naturally and we will stay and help you through it if you want us to".
I ended up getting an epidural. I'm not even mad about it. However, the anesthesiologist was not as good as the one I had when Alex was born. And can I just say, I hate when they ask you if it hurts when they're sticking the needle in. OF COURSE IT HURTS YOU CRAZY PERSON, YOU'RE STICKING ME WITH A NEEDLE WHILE I'M HAVING A CONTRACTION. Rant over.
It was probably around 3 or 4pm, and I was still only 4-5 cm dilated (I think). So Chandra asked if I wanted to try the "fire hydrant" position. She said that 85% of the time (in her experience) it sped up the whole dilating process. So we tried it. It's kind of awkward and funny...but what you do is lay on your side and put one of your legs up on the stirrup, like a dog would lift up its leg to pee on a fire hydrant, hence the name (bhahahaha). Then after about 15 minutes you switch and lift the other leg up. So anyway I did that, and it totally worked. Within about 2 hours I was ready to go and Myra was coming soon. My doctor finally got there and it was time to push.
With Alex, I pushed FOREVER. come to find out he was wrapped in the umbilical cord and that's why he wasn't coming down. With Myra, I pushed maybe 5 times and her head was out ("WOW, look at all that hair!", says my doctor and all the nurses). A few more pushes and she was out completely. I don't know how long it actually was, but it felt like I only pushed for 5 minutes and guys, it felt easy. Also fun fact, HGTV was still on this whole time. haha.
Anyway, there you have it. I probably left out some of the important details because now Myra is about a month and a half old, and mom brain is alive and well over here. Anyway, here are a few photos from when she was just born, and also from this last Sunday! Her first time going to church :)
Myra Ann Watkins
Her tights are a little way too big. But just look at that dress!
I tell you what, she's the cutest little girl I ever did see.
"Bye, have a nice day!"



No comments :
Post a Comment