On Monday, April 9th, I turned 20. TWENTY years old. Two decades.
No longer a "teenager".
Let me tell you, it was a momentous occasion.
Upon turning 20, I was thinking about how much I've learned in the past couple years, specifically since coming to BYU-Idaho. My friends, I've learned a lot. I've changed a lot. I've grown a lot...and I'm still learning, changing, and growing even more.
I have learned many things, but recently I have been reflecting on one particular thing I've learned this last semester: confidence. Confidence is something I've struggled with almost my whole life. I was never one to voice my opinion or stand up and draw attention to myself; I was the quiet girl. The girl who did not know how to be heard, or even if she wanted to.
In previous posts, I have mentioned From the Heart, and independent, student-run choir here in Rexburg. Let me just say, it was a life-changing experience. In the choir, everyone sings solos. You just do. When I had my first solo at a fireside (a whole ONE line, might I add), my hands were NUMB one or two songs before I even had to sing. Why did that happen? I was so nervous. And I had almost no confidence. Towards the end of the semester, I requested to sing a solo. Say WHAT?!?! That, too, was a momentous occasion. I never thought I would see the day I would ask to sing a solo for anything. Now I love singing solos. I still get a little nervous, but I love singing, and I want to share the talents Heavenly Father has given me.
This next semester (which just started this last week...CRAZY), I have a LOT on my plate. Second day of school comes around and I'm already stressed. I'm taking 12 credits, I'm working 20 hours a week, I'm a Coordinator for Service Activities on campus, I'm the director for From the Heart, I have two callings. These past couple days, I've felt overwhelmed by the long list of things I have to do. But guess what: I can do it. I just learned confidence in myself, right? Maybe I have, but I think Heavenly Father knows I'm going to need to learn a little more.
Going off of the long list of things to do, another thing I have learned a lot about in my twenty years of life are: trials. Gotta love 'em. Trials are hard and usually no fun, but you learn from them. I have learned a LOT from trials and what I have found is that going through trials also brings me closer to my Savior. I strive to be close to him always, but something about feeling like the dust of the Earth really teaches you to rely on Christ and his Atonement. While trials are hard and I'd probably prefer to learn through experiences other than trials, I'm grateful for those trials that I have been given. I know that He is always there for me and will carry me through those hard experiences. This semester, I hope to grow closer to my Savior and really learn to rely on him and trust in the Lord's timing.
Here's a little song that I love, and that brings so much comfort to me in times if trial. Enjoy
Going off of the long list of things to do, another thing I have learned a lot about in my twenty years of life are: trials. Gotta love 'em. Trials are hard and usually no fun, but you learn from them. I have learned a LOT from trials and what I have found is that going through trials also brings me closer to my Savior. I strive to be close to him always, but something about feeling like the dust of the Earth really teaches you to rely on Christ and his Atonement. While trials are hard and I'd probably prefer to learn through experiences other than trials, I'm grateful for those trials that I have been given. I know that He is always there for me and will carry me through those hard experiences. This semester, I hope to grow closer to my Savior and really learn to rely on him and trust in the Lord's timing.
Here's a little song that I love, and that brings so much comfort to me in times if trial. Enjoy
No comments :
Post a Comment