Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Island of Blue Dolphins

Author: Scott O'Dell
Copyright Date: 1960
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Company
Number of Pages: 184
Reading Level: 14 & Up
Genre: Historical Fiction

Summary
"The Island of Blue Dolphins" is a story based off of real experiences of "The Woman of San Nicholas Island", however many of the adventures he made up. The story is of am Indian girl named Karana, who lives on the island with her friends and family. One day, a ship comes. Hunters from Russia, the Aleuts, come to hunt sea otter. Their leader (Captain Orlov) makes a deal with Karana's dad (Chief Chowig), and they stay for a while on the island to hunt. When it's time for the Aleuts to leave, they still had not given the Chief his fare share of the deal. After a few moments they broke out into war, and many of Karana's people died, including her father. The Aleuts left, and they had to choose a new chief. A while after the new chief was chosen, he decided to sail to another land to see if he would be able to bring their people there. He left and was gone for a while--many people thought he wouldn't return. One day a ship comes, not the Aleuts, and their captain claims that he knew their chief and had come to take them to a new land. Excited, Karana and her siblings (older sister and younger brother) pack up their things. On their way to the boat her brother, Ramo, forgot a spear and when Karana was on the boat she realized that Ramo had gone back to get his spear. When the ship would not turn back to get him, she dove into the ocean and swam back to the island. She and Ramo lived alone on the island, and eventually Ramo was killed by wild dogs. The rest of the book goes through the adventures and experiences that Karana has while on the island alone--making a home, hunting, her dog Rantu, the return of the Aleuts, and many more--for eighteen years. After all that time, a ship finally comes and they take Karana with them to their home. The book ends with Karana looking back towards the Island.

Reaction
After I read this book, I absolutely loved it. All of Karana's experiences were incredible--I can't imagine going through all that she did, alone. The detail and style of writing O'Dell uses keep you interested in the book. I couldn't wait to find out what would happen next!

Recommendations
I wouldn't recommend this book to younger children, however I would recommend it to anyone who's looking for a good adventure and and inspiring story. Anyone could love it.

Problems/Conflicts
This book has a lot about hunting and killing, and at times it gets very detailed. That's really the main problem I saw--I didn't see much else.

No comments :