Saturday, February 26, 2011

Love, Stargirl

Author: Jerry Spinelli
Copyright Date: 2007
Publisher: Random House, Inc.
Number of Pages: 274
Reading Level: Ages 13 & Up
Genre: Fiction

Summary

"Love, Stargirl" is the sequel to "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli. Stargirl moved away from Arizona and left everything behind, to start a new life. This book is very interesting, in that it is written in journal/letter form to Leo, her ex-boyfriend. She tells him about all of the happenings of her life, and in the end decides to actually send this "world's longest letter" to him. In it she tells him about Dootsie (her 6-year-old best friend), Betty Lou (the lady who's afraid to leave her own house), Alvina (the girl who hates boys and has one pink, glittery nail), Perry Delloplane (who she has a 'thing' with and who kisses her), and many others. This book is absolutely enchanting and any reader will fall in love with Stargirl's adventures.

Reaction

I loved "Stargirl", and I also love "Love, Stargirl", the sequel. It was a great continuation of the story and I'm glad Spinelli decided to write it! I thought the format he chose to write in was especially interesting--journal/diary form. Great book!

Recommendations

I would recommend it to anyone--mainly teenage girls. The problems and situations that Stargirl faces, I think, a lot of people can relate to.

Problems/conflicts
There weren't too many conflicts, but the main one I saw is that Perry tends to steal and is a "bad" kid. Also Alvina, who likes to beat people up and has quite the temper. Those two things aren't the greatest example, but other than that I didn't see any problems with the book.

No comments :