Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Koalas

Author: Denise Burt
Copyright Date: 1999
Publisher: Carolrhoda Books, Inc.
Number of Pages:48
Age Level: Ages 8 & Up
Genre: Informational

Summary

This book contains a lot of very detailed information about koalas and their lifestyle. The book goes through many different sections: the popularity of koalas, what a koala is, marsupials and their land, the koala's life living in the trees, the fact that they live alone, how they mate and have/raise their own children, how a baby koala grows, the future for koalas, and a glossary of key terms. Each section goes into detail about the different area it discusses, containing very informational facts. This book also displays many pictures and examples of the many different things this book discusses.

The layout for this book is set up like a chapter book, with each different 'subject' starting a new 'chapter'. As far as the page design, it's very plain and simple to follow. There are pictures, and plain text. On a few of the pages there is a lot of unnecessary white, blank space.

Reaction

I wasn't a huge fan of this book. Yes, it contains a large bulk of good information, however the layout and overall presentation of the book was plain and almost boring. I don't think many kids would be drawn to it if they had the chance to read it.

Recommendations

I wouldn't particularly recommend this book to anyone, however if someone is truly interested in learning about koalas (for a research paper, perhaps?), then this is the book for them.

Problems/Conflicts

There weren't any problems that I could see. The only thing that I could see some parents having a problem with are some of the pictures--for example one picture was of a baby koala being born...it was just a little bit gross.

No comments :