Friday, March 4, 2011

Lincoln: A Photobiography

Author: Russell Freedman
Copyright Date: 1987
Publisher: Clarion Books
Number of Pages: 150
Reading Level: Ages 9 & Up
Genre: Biography (photobiography)

Summary

This photobiography by Russell Freedman goes through Abraham Lincoln's life--from his birth to his death and everything in between. It talks briefly about his childhood, his endeavors as a young man to further his career in law, his courtship and marriage with Mary Ann Todd, his place in the House of Representatives, his own law practice, and finally his presidency and then assassination. The bulk of this book talks about the problems he encountered in dealing with slavery as well as all of the trials during the civil war with the south.

This photobiography is very detailed and full of information. It shares many quotes from people who knew President Lincoln, as well as some of his own quotes. Along with these bits of information, this book contains many wonderful photographs--as you could guess from the title. The photographs are sketches, paintings, and pictures of Lincoln and other aspects of his life.

Reaction

I thought this was a very well-written and informative book, however it was somewhat boring and a little slow to read at times.

Recommendations

I would recommend this book to middle school-aged children. I think it's the right length that it would keep them interested, and I think they would enjoy the photos that it contains.

Problems/Conflicts

I don't know if you can count these as problems since it's a biography and is based off of fact, but of course in Lincoln's life there was discrimination against blacks, war, and murder. Those are definitely some big problems.

No comments :