Monday, May 12, 2014

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS: THOUGHTS

Anyone else read this book? I thought it was awesome. I loved how honest it was. Green didn't sugar coat any part of the story. I loved the humor, Hazel and Gus (the two main characters) are sarcastic, witty, and just plain funny. And for those of you who like the sappy stuff (which I absolutely do), this book has that too. However, this book is a pretty heartbreaking romance and for the last 50-60 pages I was pretty much crying my eyes out.

So Hazel and Gus are both cancer patients. They're very familiar with thinking about death, and Hazel talks about it a lot throughout the book. Towards the end of the book, there are some scares with both Hazel and Gus and you're really worried about how it's going to end. If you've ever experienced losing a love one, I'm sure you can relate to this book {and even if you haven't, you'll still love it}. That's why I was so emotional especially during the last 50-60 pages.

{SPOILER: Gus dies at the end of the book and for now, Hazel lives.}

On a kind of side note, at one point in the book it quotes the "Nothing Gold Can Stay" poem by Robert Frost. Most of you know that my sister-in-law passed away just over a year ago. At her funeral, one of her cousins asked to get up to share a few words. He shared this poem. I was absolutely touched. When I read those words in "The Fault In Our Stars", it reminded me of everything I felt after she passed away {that was one of the parts in the last 50-60 pages where I lost it}.

Overall, this book was funny, cute, romantic, witty, heartbreaking, and real. Definitely a great birthday present, Michael! Has anyone else read this book? What did you like or dislike about it? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments :