Friday, May 9, 2014

THE JOYS OF MOTHERHOOD

Let me be real with you, motherhood is hard. I'm saying that now but I know I have my fair share of motherhood/parenting hardships in my future. But guess what? That's part of life and part of the reason I'm here; to have experiences, to learn, to grow. 

The other day was awful. Alex woke up with pee halfway down his leg and halfway up his stomach. He.was.so.wet. We recently started using size 4 diapers because he seriously just has so much pee! He pees like a racehorse and I'm pretty sure there are no diapers in the world that can do anything to help. Anyway, that's how my morning the other day started.

A couple hours later, I thought he was tired so I put him in his crib for a nap. Guess what? He didn't nap. So I got him out and we played for a little bit (translation: he was fussy so I tried to distract him and keep him happy/busy). Another hour or so later and I was sure he was ready for a nap. He slept for about two hours, which was HEAVENLY for me in the moment but for some reason... It was terrible when he woke up.

He was SO grumpy! With so much sleep you'd think he'd be in a happy, playful mood. Nope. For the next hour or more he just cried, and any new thing I tried would calm him for less than a minute before he was crying again. I held him, and he'd squirm and try to get down. I put him down, and he'd be pulling on my legs and crying for me to pick him up. I found myself getting so frustrated because there was nothing I could do to help him! 

After reading that story and with Mother's Day approaching, here's a video I wanted to share that really means a lot to me:


Motherhood is an eternal partnership with God. I truly believe that. "I know deep down inside, I am doing God's work." For every hard time I have as a mom, there are a million smiles, tender moments, and experiences that fill my heart with more love than I ever knew was possible to feel. I wouldn't trade my role as a wife and mother for anything!

Like I said before, being a mom is hard work. And looking back on my years growing up, I regret the times I didn't appreciate my mom enough for what she did for me. Sometimes when you're a kid, the "world revolves around you" and you don't realize that the things your mom tells you to do {even if you don't like what it is} are because she loves you. She loves you more than you can comprehend, until one day you have a little babe of your own and then everything YOU do for YOUR child is because you love them.

So love your mothers. Let them know you appreciate them. Thank them. Tell them they're the best person in the world, because they are. Sometimes I think moms don't hear it enough.

Being a mom is the best job in the world! I'm so grateful for all the moms out there who are such great examples to me. Now, the other day I got a candy bar {Reese's} just for being a mom, so if that doesn't tell you how awesome it is I don't know what will ;)

{Update: this morning, Alex has been the happiest baby in the world. He's playing, pulling himself up on things, and just having an all-around great time. And that's how he is almost every day:) }


No comments :