Wednesday, May 7, 2014

WEDDING ADVICE & A FUNNY STORY

You know how at receptions, they always have a little jar or book where you can write little notes of advice you have for the couple? Well one piece of advice I would give is to write random, little, sweet notes to your spouse. For Valentine's day I took a picture frame we weren't using, and made a little "I love you because..." board. It hangs in our bathroom and with a dry erase marker, we can easily write notes of why we love each other. It's so fun! 

A few months ago, Michael took a bunch of post-it notes and wrote various notes on them. He then hid them alllllll around our house (mainly the kitchen-living room area). I just found one last week when I got out my sewing machine case; it was hiding inside it. I can't even tell you how much fun it was to find those notes all around the place! An example of one he wrote: "I love you HONEY" (or something like that) and he hid it in the cupboard where we keep our honey. Haha! If that's not cheesy-cute I don't know what is.

Ok so about my funny story. First, let me explain how I got here. Last night I was washing some bottles and again saw the note Michael had left above our sink. Then I thought to myself, "That's what advice I'll give if they have one of those jars or books at their receptions" (There are at least 3 weddings we are going to this summer). Then writing notes reminded me about the first time Michael asked me out on a date. Here you go:

There I was, sitting in a chapel with a couple people from the choir I was in. We were a little early, so not many people were there yet. Then I get a text from a number I didn't recognize. In the text, the person said they had gotten tickets from work to go to the zoo and asked if I would want to go with them. To me that sounded all fine and good but there was one problem: I didn't have that number saved in my phone and they didn't tell me their name! OOPS! :) Turns out it was Michael. The people who were also there early said I should say no, since he asked me out via text. I ended up saying yes, because I thought he was cute...I'm a girl. What can I say.

Later, I'm pretty sure I told him about how everyone said I should've said no, since he sent a text to ask me out. This was his justification: Well in middle school/high school, people always passed notes to ask people out on dates. A text is just an electronic note (valid point). He also said he was nervous to call because he wasn't sure if I would be available to talk, if I'd be busy, or whatever. So he sent a text that I could respond to whenever. That's pretty much a valid point, but he still could have left a message and I could respond to that whenever too, right? He was just nervous to ask me on a date, it's ok ;) I said yes anyway, and the rest is history so I guess it's not that bad of an idea! 

Moral of this story: Write love notes to your significant other, and leave them in random places for them to find (or on a mirror, message board, etc.) 

1 comment :

Bonnie said...

My daughter has done this for me - in my scriptures, around my house, etc. It has been a blessing to find them, keep them in their original place to "rediscover" them again and again.

What beautiful treasures!